Post by proboardsisshit on May 5, 2018 18:21:06 GMT
Anyone who's played GoD through will know that it's virtually impossible not to complete on your first attempt due to Higson not realising that Fighting Fantasy books don't work if you treat them like video games. ie allowing you to backtrack anywhere at any point and allowing you virtual 'continues' when you make a stupid decision just to see if you can actually die in the game...
Therefore, apply these handy fixes to actually be able to play this as a normal FF book :
1) Instead of starting with 10 Vials of Smoke Oil roll 1 D6 for your total. It's impossible to even have 10 fights in one entire playthrough thus rendering Higson's original fight avoiding mechanic pointlless. (Not to mention the series is called 'Fighting' Fantasy not 'Smoke Oil' Fantasy for a reason.
2) Roll 1 D6 any time you are given or find 10 Gold Pieces or more and use that total instead.
3) If you are given a choice of taking three items out of 6 or whatever, just take 1.
4) Treat all weapons the same as any other FF book, ie 2 stamina damage and no bonuses to Attack strength.
5) When in the invisible City you can only visit each room once, not an infinite number of times. (unless you are passing through to get to another room) This means that you will need to remember or be told the correct items/characters to speak to in order to win rather than be given an unlimitted maze like tedium of visiting them at leisure with no threat whatsoever...)
Stick to those rules and then some of your choices will actually be meaningful.
Thanks for this. I don't have the book yet but if I ever do, reckon I'll follow your rules.
Author of 'Hellfire', 'Riders of the Storm', 'House of Pain' (sequel to House of Hell) and 'Deathtrap' (prequel to Deathtrap Dungeon). All are available for download here or at: www.ffproject.com/download.htm