Westward Dystopia / Road Less Travelled Gamebooks Mar 20, 2015 6:15:54 GMT
Post by jeffreydean on Mar 20, 2015 6:15:54 GMT
Greetings Fighting Fantasy fans! I'm a long-time reader of Fighting Fantazine and I've been playing gamebooks since the 80's. I have recently completed my first gamebook Westward Dystopia in a planned series of post-apocalyptic gamebooks! The book is available on Android phones and tablets right now and a Kickstarter has just begun for a print and ebook version!
Some highlights from the Kickstarter:
- Original Art by Fighting Fantasy veteran artist Tony Hough and David White!
- Open-ended design featuring numerous options for progression with six vastly differing endings (and one secret ending): Westward Dystopia was designed from the ground up to encourage exploration and multiple playthroughs. At over 120 thousand words in length, this gamebook is a full-length novel!
- Storyline and character-oriented older teen/adult-level prose: Combat takes a back seat to choice and exploration. Many combats can be avoided entirely through the right choices.
- Fight, assist, or bypass several unique Wasteland dwellers. But beware! Your actions and choices may have consequences down the road!
- Join a powerful mutant tribe or seek vengeance? Will you join forces with a brutal tribal faction and attempt to steer them towards a better future? Will you instead wreak havoc upon them in repayment for their misdeeds? Or perhaps you could sneak by them entirely, realizing your goals with a minimum of bloodshed?
- Simple combat rules using easy-to-learn RPG stats and standard six-sided dice. Use pre-rolled character archetypes or roll your own!
- Upgrade your weapons and armor. Uncover stashes of gold and barter for medical kits and survival supplies at the open market.
- Achievements are hidden throughout the book! A convenient check-list is included to let you know what you may have missed during your first playthrough!
- Post-apocalyptic world with sci-fi and fantasy elements! Westward Dystopia features light fantasy elements and some sci-fi styled scenes. Hundreds of years of mutations and evolution have created rare mutants possessing control over the elements, including limited pyrokinesis!
- The adventure continues in Books 2 and 3! A sequel and a prequel, both volumes are being written simultaneously and are nearing 50% completion of the first draft.
Westward Dystopia is the first volume of a planned series of interactive fiction gamebooks set in the post-apocalyptic world of tomorrow. Centuries ago a terrible war laid waste to humanity, irradiating the globe and changing the lives of those who would survive forever. This event came to be known as The Razing, and the specifics regarding its provenance have passed from history into the fickle realms of myth and legend. You are an artifact hunter burdened under the weight of an unhappy past. You came of age while living in one of the few isolated cities left in the Wasteland--the technological marvel that is the city of Root. You were betrayed by your homeland and you fled, seeking solace in the pursuit of wires and gears unearthed with some hardship from a seemingly inexhaustible treasure trove. The wastes abound with secrets to uncover, but your time has nearly run out. History may be repeating itself. Some secrets should remain buried, while others are necessary to humankind's continued survival!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and check out the Kickstarter for more information, preview pages, and even more artwork! Once you have the book in your hands or on your device of choice, I hope you will come back here to discuss it!