Post by hynreck on Sept 18, 2015 16:07:52 GMT
Changes made to the new edition by Megara.
So, I'd previously said we'd talk art, but then I finished editing book 2. I sent it to Mikaël and he's spent days doing his layout magic. Listing all the changes will take up a lot of space in your inbox, so we'll have to postpone art once more (it'll fit better, though, since the next "art update" starts with a book 2 illustration anyway). See the changes below, and, again, we welcome your input if you know something that needed correcting back in the 1980's version of book 2 but is missing here.
As with book 1, tidied various combat mechanics, clarified shuriken use, nudged Endurance restoration, glossed over needless record-keeping about gold, and so on.
This wasn't explained in as much detail in book 1's changelog, but the authors also wanted combat effects to be more tidy. Instead of anything vague like "subtract from your next roll," the text now talks about "your Modifier" or "damage" by name. Effects are also more predictable: when you throw an enemy, you can expect a bonus of +2 now instead of sometimes getting only +1. (Really special effects, like unexpectedly winning a fight by making a throw, are kept as-is.)
As with book 1, standardized the capitalization, spelling, and phrasing.
Flowchart errors and crashes
59. Edited to send you to 303 instead of 147. (Section 147 has an "if you can't or don't want to do this, go back to the previous section" line, but it links to 43 which is not helpful here.)
82. Edited to send you to 318 instead of 147. (Section 147 has an "if you can't or don't want to do this, go back to the previous section" line, but it links to 43 which is not helpful here.)
85. Added the instruction to go to 249 if your opponent is dead.
109. Eliminated the option to die, because, of all things, you can't.
163. Added the instruction to go to 297 if your opponent is dead. Added the "countdown" to go to section 337.
287, 338. Changed to allow you to proceed even if you have none of the required skills, items, or Inner Force.
303. Replaced with text similar to 147, now linking to 47, 89, 8, and 59.
318. Replaced with text similar to 147, now linking to 47, 89, 8, and 82.
336. Edited to include all the text that used to be in 318 and 303, now linking to 286 and 270.
389. Eliminated the option to go to 340 and the reference to Mardolh's poisonous tail as "withered." (This route is defined by the use of the Water Crystal and not the Sun-star Ring, meaning there is exactly one state of the enemy and zero opportunity to use another item. Now you cannot wither Mardolh's tail by checking your pockets.)
Text problems from taking an unexpected route
94. The enemies don't run yet, as they are described as running in the subsequent joining of routes at 297.
98. Eliminated casual reference to Cassandra's Dagger, as you might not have it.
124. The "evil grin" is described just a little differently, as the route here could have involved an "evil smile" already.
153. You are no longer surprised to see the tunnel, as you may have been told about it.
210. Your "thoughts of reward" are rephrased, as you may have made a choice to abandon such reward, and you may have no bodies around to grant a reward anyway.
231. No "withering" happens to Mardolh's poisonous tail at this time, as the wither already happened in this route.
335, 354. The breeze is no longer specified as coming from open doors, as you could have remained in a closed room this whole time.
418. It's now clear that Thaum survives, as otherwise it would be confusing to see him act in the subsequent 404.
420. "Some weeks" are now "some days," as the amount of time involved can vary by your route.
Conflicts and logic errors
95. Eliminated the idea of having to "repay your debt" to Kwon, or getting a reward from Kwon when "you reach the Island of Tranquil Dreams." (This could lead the player to misunderstand or misuse the game mechanic.)
140, 154. Swapped the Brigand Leader's Defence between the punch and kick sections. (The original made it easier to use a kick, the harder maneuver, without explanation.)
156, 166, 173, 207, 301. Added the options to go to all possible attacks or repeat the same attack. (The original had some unexplained absences.)
247. Added more references to time passing, as an entire battle is supposed to happen while you are engaged. (It remains a bit iffy because you can't sit around for multiple days, but is more believable now.) Also added some Endurance restoration, paralleling the restoration in 66 but a little weaker.
251. Eliminated casual reference to "hurting it," as no statistics are given for the damage.
275, 306. Swapped the Goblin King's Defence between the punch and kick sections. (The original made it easier to use a kick, the harder maneuver, without explanation.) Also added the option to go to 419, which may have been absent for a good reason, but Avenger wouldn't know that.
308. The sword is now described as already having been drawn, as it seems only to have been an error or holdover from a previous flowchart that it was described differently.
350. Added a gift of three shuriken, paralleling the gift in 66. (Following scenes assume you have shuriken.)
5, 172, 238. Edited references to the Goblin's Teeth Mountains, the creatures that live there, and the results of your visit. (This avoids the confusion possible in the original section 238, which asked, simply, if you knew what creatures lived there. This also avoids giving away the results of your visit to players who may never have followed that route.)
11, 48, 66, 91, 168, 344, 350, 376, 406. A big heap of edits relevant to the Island of Plenty in specific and the "orient" in general:
Edited the description of samurai armor to be metal. (Historically, samurai armor was metal covered with lacquer. The original described the armor as "lacquered wood," due either to the resultant appearance or to a brain going on autopilot after typing the word "lacquered.")
Edited compass directions and geographic details on the Island of Plenty. (Now, for the first time, we have an authorized map of the island to reference.)
Edited the description of Kiyamo to emphasize how he is the shogun. (The original called him "daimyo" from the start and "shogun" only once, making it confusing.)
Edited references to seppuku to say it is performed, not committed.
13. Eliminated Endurance and shuriken restoration because you've already won.
59, 99, 107. Added a note that you may call upon your god again, for he didn't hear you.
268, 284. Clarified the rules of the dogfight.
289. Lowered the gift of shuriken to two instead of five. (You get quite a lot in this book. This reduction is balanced with the situation noted earlier at 350.)
297. Changed it so that you destroy the tablet, not pocket it. (You do not use this tablet for anything, and Avenger is in the habit of destroying evidence, so it makes more sense this way and is less confusing for player bookkeeping.)
340. Edited to send you to 396 instead of 301. (You can choose another action at will instead of being forced to attack if you have no items.)
. . . All set? Talk to you again soon!