Post by hynreck on Oct 13, 2015 14:48:24 GMT
Another changelog post from the original kickstarter page, no real editing needed, here.
Good day! Work marches along. I've finished editing book 5, and, as of now, Mikaël is most of the way done with layout and illustrations. It's a little distracting because this is the book with all the battle maps, one of the special challenges that set The Way of the Tiger apart from other gamebooks of the 1980's. As part of error-checking, I've put together lists of where all the troops are supposed to be (and errors should be removed), and today I'm sticking my own toes into the artistic waters and editing the maps myself. That's fun. Did you know that these graphics came from Jamie Thomson's own pen scratchings in the first place? The new versions will be as similar as we can manage.
Anyway, here's the list of changes to the body text. Next comes editing book 6, the one that demands a lot of time and effort, and then editing the new book 7 once it's all finalized and ready. See you next time!
As with other books, tidied various combat mechanics, clarified shuriken use, and so on. There wasn't much need to edit Endurance restoration or gold use.
As with other books, standardized the capitalization, spelling, and phrasing.
Flowchart errors and crashes
43, 351, 381, 391, 401. Edited to send you to 61 instead of 261. (You need no longer go back in time just to return to the information "hub.")
140. Corrected by swapping success and failure between 260 and 270.
219, 321. Erased and assigned new content (in section repurposing, below), as these were orphaned sections that did not fit in the original flowchart.
361. Corrected to send you to 271 instead of 371. (Per the original errata.)
Text problems from taking an unexpected route
165. Shadazar is now described as heading toward the temples instead of the Palace, as that maintains consistency if the player goes to 23 afterward.
179, 209, 239, 249, 259, 269, 309. Moved the discussion of the White Mage and the knights of Rocheval to after your march on the large enemy force, not before it, as otherwise you could recruit them without ever knowing who they are. This means 179 now links to 269, 209 now links to 239, and both 249 and 259 now link to 309.
181. Your fight with the Son of Nil is no longer described as involving "powerful magic," as technically you could have survived without any.
215. The tale of executioner spider venom is now presented differently, as your own training in Immunity to Poison could vary dramatically based on when you took the skill.
247, 393. Your route atop the Palace, and your interaction with the Cave Troll, are now presented in a logical order no matter when you first sight the beast.
252. The Orb no longer glows "once more," as this could be the first time you experienced it.
315. "The" purple fire is now slightly rephrased, as you might not have seen it yet.
Conflicts and logic errors
Many edits to maintain internal consistency no matter your route through the book and to help with your tactical decisions. This includes consistency within the battle map images.
21, 57, 189. Edited "your trusted servant the Seneschal" to give him a more minor and self-contained role in the book. (The original spoke as though you should know him from book 4, but you've never actually read about this person before.)
43. Eliminated the reference to your getting the Grandmaster in Wargrave Abbas killed, because you didn't. (It is possible that this was confused with events of book 4.)
75, 83, 109, 111, 165, 177, 311, 399. Changed the symbol and creature to a hippogriff, not a griffon, as per the last two books. (This is also how the creature is described in 109, so likely the change in this book was nothing more than an error.)
173, 337. Resolved the two statements for the Cave Troll's Defence against the Iron Fist punch, being 4 and 6, into a single value of 5.
249. Eliminated the reference to Doré le Jeune being unsmiling, because if you cooperated at all then you saw him smile when you first met.
291. Eliminated the option to use Kwon's Flail on the Cave Troll and go to 211. Also, explained in 211, 333, and 359 that Kwon's Flail is a one-time opportunity. Made the same changes in the parallel 111, 317, and 357. (We have to assume that Kwon's Flail is one-time as that's the majority rule in this section. And if so, then all sections where you waste time should punish you the same, like 393 does in the original.)
360, 370. Swapped the Defence between the punch and kick sections. (The original made it easier to use a kick, the harder maneuver, without explanation. It also would conflict with the similar fight you had back in book 3.)
11. Added the option to go to 55 for the "Lord High Steward" correction.
17. Edited to include all the text that used to be in 27, freeing up space for the three-route "Sceptre" correction, and now linking to 67.
27, 219. Replaced sections. Text similar to 53 or 163, but explaining the function of the Sceptre if you didn't know it already, now linking (from 27) to 243 or (from 219) to 397. (The original assumed you read the words of Nebr'Volent no matter the route.)
55. Replaced section. Text similar to 21, but summarizing the surviving figures of Irsmuncast for players who knew the fate of the Lord High Steward from book 4, now linking to 31. (Book 4 gave you a Purple Jade Ring upon his death, but the series never used the item. Now it's used for slight flavor in the routes.)
73. Edited to include all the text that used to be in 55, freeing up space for the "Lord High Steward" correction, and now linking to 33.
77. Edited to include all the text that used to be in 157, freeing up space for the "Fidelio" correction, and now ending in death.
103, 133, 183. Added the option to go (from 103 or 183) to 27, or go (from 133) to 219, for the three-route "Sceptre" correction.
121. Added the option to go to 157 for the "Fidelio" correction.
157. Replaced section. New scene after Fidelio's performance where you muse on his words given that you already know the function of the Orb, now linking to 131. (The original assumed you never used the Orb no matter the route.)
321. Replaced section. New scene in Greydawn where you reveal the truth of your offer and hear their refusal, now linking to 235. (The original said you were going to do this, but instead sent you to 129 where you use the skill of ShinRen whether you have it or not.)
395. Added the option to go to 321 for the "Greydawn" correction.
11, 33, 159. Moved the Endurance restoration. You now heal to maximum Endurance at the end of the struggle in Irsmuncast, not the midpoint. (Most danger after the midpoint is instant death only, and even so the original never told you to heal at the end.) You also heal after succeeding in your diplomatic trip. (The original did not make this explicit.)
130, 228, 324. Clarified that the nasty effect only takes place if you were already at zero Inner Force when told to lose a point of it.
153. Edited to make Solstice seem less malevolent. (His advice had usually been so good. Obviously, it must be your fault that you can't handle it. Obviously.)
159, 169, 179. Edited compass directions for the forces of the Rift and the woods near Sundial. (The original description matched neither our new map nor its original map.)
179. Edited to be less of a copy of 209, since a player who goes through 179 should also go to 209 in order to survive.
309. Removed the reference to the village of Beechbridge. (It may have been intended to be a separate location from the village of Bridgebeam, but it never appears on a map nor is mentioned again, and this is just confusing enough to merit a change.)
332. Edited reference to "Aveneg boys," as implying the gender of the main character is to be avoided.